Friday 22 June 2007

Island Time: Meetings

Island Time. Whether you like it or not, if you are in Dominica, you will experience it. Especially if you come from a society where everything comes and leaves on time and punctuality is the norm and the beauty, like in Japan, North America or Germany, it may be tough to adopt to the concept of time on the island.

A meeting never starts on time. From my experience at work, I can just say that if there is ever a meeting, it is great. There is always a big possibility that the meeting will be canceled, due to any kind of reason, such as weather, stomach ache, transportation break down, or by simply being forgotten. Soon you learn, reconfirmation is mandatory.

Let's say there is finally going to be a meeting. How late will it start? Again, from my observations at work, it is about 30 to 40 minutes. This morning we had a meeting, supposed to start at 9:00 a.m., and actually, it started at 9:40. Of course there is nobody there at 9:00 a.m. In Central America, where my previous experience is from, the delay was normally 15 to 20 minutes, so Dominica is even more "flexible" than that.

Another thing is about how a meeting is called and how everyone is informed. And for how long in advance. This, I think, is another challenge for non-islanders. Again, the meeting this morning, I was informed about 2 minutes before it started. My boss said "oh, I think I did not tell you, but can you come to the meeting now?". Fortunately I did not have to do anything, just sit there.

It is not that easy to schedule anything in advance on the island. If someone want to have a meeting with you, he or she may say "I will look you up sometime next week". Then he will probably specify more later, like "early next week". Well, that can be Monday, Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. All you can do is hold the uncertainty. Because next week, he will say "how about Tuesday? How about Tuesday mid-morning?". That probably means 10:00, or 10:30, or 11:00. Eventually the meeting will take place around that time.

For many Dominicans it does not feel good, and it does not seem "appropriate" to make an appointment like in Western society. A normal phrase for me, like "let's have a meeting Thursday July 5th at 10:45 a.m." just doesn’t work here.

So if you want to be on this island and you are punctual person, you have to prepare yourself. Bus comes when it comes, air plane leaves when it leaves. And I am not kidding. Just don't hassle islanders with questions like "when is the bus coming? At what time? It is already late! I can not miss the flight. I have another appointment!" You just have to disconnect from the busy developed world. "When? What time?" are almost taboo questions here.

On the island, bus comes when it comes, air plane leaves when it leaves.
.

2 comments:

Jen Miller said...

I love this post.

Anonymous said...

and we live a lot longer for it